Your Home Away From Home
This room is your "home away from" so personalization is encouraged.We also encourage future roommates to communicate in advance in regards to whom is bringing what items. Please consult the Residence Life Handbook for more information.
What You May Bring:
- Microfridge (one per room) 5 cubic feet or less
- Electric coffee pots
- Hot air popcorn poppers
- Microwave requiring less than 600-800 watts (no more than one per room)
- Clothes irons with temperature control settings
- Hair curlers, straighteners or other electric cosmetic devices
- Stereo, radio, or CD player
- Alarm Clock
- Lofts constructed by the resident
- The loft may not have treated lumber or wood with bark on it
- The loft must be free standing
- No pressure type lofts are allowed (it must be able to stand without using pressure against the ceiling or walls.)
- It cannot adhere to or be attached to the floor, ceiling, walls, nor can it rest on any of the furniture provided in the room.
- Safety railings are strongly recommended.
- The loft location cannot impede the egress from the room.
- Other appliances without an exposed heating element, which are cool to the touch during operation and are UL listed and permitted
What is Provided in Each Room:
- 2 standard garbage or recycling bins
- 2 bed frames (standard twin-size)
- 2 standard twin-size mattresses
- 2 desks
- 2 desk chairs
- 2 bookcases
- 2 dressers
- 2 medium-sized mirrors
- 1 smoke detector
- 1 door peephole
- Window blinds
- Carpeting (with the exception of one tiled room reserved for people with allergies)
- Each residence hall room is furnished with local telephone service.Students will be able to make calls to any campus phone as well as local calls to the Superior/Duluth area at no charge
- 2 wired internet ports (wireless internet service is available in each residence hall room and in common spaces)
What You May NOT Have:
- Hot plates
- Gas or propane powered appliances
- Air conditioners
- Stand-alone freezers
- Space heaters
- Candles, candle warmers, incense
- Halogen lights
- Large batteries, fireworks, or charcoal lighter fluid
- Appliances with exposed heating elements
- Wall outlet add-on units and extension cords are NOT permitted.
- With the exception of an instrument with controllable volume, musical instruments may not be played in the residence halls
Other Information and Suggestions:
- Microwaves are located in lounges on all floors for community use
- A limited number of micro-refrigerators are available for rent (some also include a microwave)
- Flat screen TVs are available in each of the front lobbies as well as in lounges on all floors for students to use.
- Vending machines, providing a variety of snacks and beverages, are located in each building
- Students must use power strips with surge protection for all electrical appliances
- Light bulbs must be 150 watts or less
- Ceiling height is about 7 feet, 7 inches
- Beds that can be bunked are provided in Ostrander, Curran-McNeill (first, second, and third floors), and Ross Hall. Lofts may be rented in these locations. Details about loft rental are available on the website. Crownhart and 4th floor Curran-McNeill Halls have lofts provided.
- Earbuds/headphones are encouraged
- Fans are suggested for warm weather in fall and spring