Campus Security Authority (CSA) Training

This online training is intended to help you understand the federal requirements relating to reporting crimes on university campuses. The training should take no more than 30 minutes to complete. After reviewing the materials, click "Take the Test" and answer each test question with the most correct answer. You will need to achieve 100% to complete the training and you can take the test more than once. After you achieve 100% on the test, an e-mail of "CSA Training Completion" will be emailed to you and to the Department of Public Safety.

Why am I Required to Take this Training?

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) is a federal statute pertaining to all colleges and universities participating in federal student aid programs. The Act requires these institutions to publish an annual security report that accurately discloses campus crime statistics and security information. The UW-Superior Department of Public Safety (Campus Safety) collects statistics on crimes, arrests, and referrals for incidents which occur on or near campus. These statistics are then reported in the university's annual Clery Report. Statistics are gathered from three primarily sources:

  • Reports made directly to Public Safety
  • Reports made to other law enforcement
  • Agencies having concurrent jurisdiction such as the Superior Police Department
  • Reports received by Campus Security Authorities (CSA's).

You are required to take this training as you have been identified as a CSA by UW-Superior.

What is a Campus Security Authority?

It is up to each university to determine which of its employees should be designated as CSA's but the Clery Act offers some guidance.

The U. S. Department of Education monitors and enforces the Clery Act. They identify campus security authority as a specific term that encompasses four groups of individuals and organizations associated with an institution:

  • A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution.
  • Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department
  • Any individual or organization specified in an institution's statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.

Although every institution wants its campus community to report all criminal incidents to law enforcement, we know that this doesn't always happen. A student who is the victim of a crime may be more inclined to report it to someone other than the campus police. For example, a victim of a sexual offense may turn to a residence hall advisor for assistance. For this reason, the U. S. Department of Education requires all institutions to collect crime reports from a variety of individuals and organizations that meet the criteria for campus security authorities.

The employees of some departments are inherently CSA's although responsibilities and job titles may not be the same on every campus. As such the university must consider the function of individuals as well as their relationship with students to determine if they should be designated as CSA's. The university must also consider if an employee is one whom a student reasonably believes is in a position to report a crime to. Employees in the following areas, with some exceptions, are considered CSA's by definition:

  • Residence Life, including residence hall student staff
  • Dean of Students Office/Student Services
  • Campus Safety
  • Athletics

Generally speaking clerical, custodial, cafeteria, and grounds crew employees are not considered to be CSA's. This is also true of faculty and instructional staff unless they act as an advisor to a student group or organization. Professional and pastoral counselors also are exempted most of the time.

What Responsibilities do Campus Security Authorities Have?

The university requires all CSA's to report specific types of crimes to Public Safety that occur on or near campus property. Crimes occurring off campus may also need to be reported. More information on this and a listing of Clery reportable crimes will be provided in the next section.

Under Clery a crime is "reported" when it is brought to the attention of campus security, local law enforcement, or a CSA by a victim, witness, third party, or even the offender. It doesn't matter whether or not the individual reporting is associated with the institution. Most reports will come from students or staff members but reports may also be made by people visiting or passing through campus. If a CSA receives a report of a crime and believes it was provided in good faith, he or she must document it as a crime report. In "good faith" means there is a reasonable basis for believing that the information is not simply rumor or hearsay. That is, there is little or no reason to doubt the validity of the information.

A CSA should immediately forward crime report information to the Department of Public Safety for allegations of Clery Act category crimes that he or she concludes were made in good faith. If a written report cannot be submitted right way, a CSA needs to call Public Safety with the information and follow up with a written report as soon as possible. This information must be received quickly in the event it is necessary to issue a "timely warning" to the campus community of a serious or continuing threat.

A CSA is not responsible for verifying a crime took place or taking any direct investigative action. This is the responsibility of Public Safety personnel or law enforcement. It is important for a CSA to obtain as much information about a criminal incident as possible, including names, to aid Public Safety in properly categorizing the crime and for any follow up investigation that may occur.

If an individual reporting an incident needs any type of assistance, a CSA should try to explain how or where to get help. Let a victim know that help may be available even if he or she does not want an investigation conducted. A CSA who does not know what help may be available should consult with Public Safety.

If a victim doesn't want the report information to go any further than the CSA, the CSA should explain that he or she is still required to submit a report for statistical purposes, but it can be submitted without identifying the victim. In other words a victim can chose to make an anonymous report. These reports must still be forwarded to Public Safety.

It is generally up to a victim to press charges and have law enforcement investigate a criminal incident. Victims should be encouraged to report crimes directly to Public Safety or the police department but it is not a CSA's responsibility to try to convince them to do this if they choose not to. Remember, if you receive a crime report you must report it to Public Safety even if the victim indicates he or she will also.

If a CSA is unsure whether an incident is a Clery reportable crime, or even if it's criminal in nature, it should be reported anyway. Public Safety is responsible for making the final determination.

What crimes must be reported by CSA's?

The university recommends that all incidents of a criminal nature be reported. The Clery Act mandates we report crimes that occur:

  • On our main (north) campus and on the (south) campus property bordered by Faxon Street, N. 28th Street, Catlin Ave and Lamborn Ave.
  • On streets bordering campus property and up to and including the sidewalk across the street.
  • On Barker's Island at the Lake Superior National Estuarine Research Reserve (NERR).
  • During any off-campus, university-sponsored trip which includes students. Examples would include group trips, study abroad, and athletic and academic team trips.

The Clery Act specifically requires universities to report the following crimes:

  • Murder/ Negligent Manslaughter/Non Negligent Manslaughter
  • Sex Offense/Forcible or Non Forcible
  • Robbery
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Burglary
  • Motor Vehicle Theft
  • Arson
  • Crimes of Domestic Violence and Dating Violence
  • Stalking
  • Simple Assault*
  • Larceny-Theft*
  • Intimidation*
  • Destruction/Damage/Vandalism of Property*
  • Liquor Law Violations
  • Drug Law Violations
  • Weapons Violations

The University must report if a crime victim was targeted based on race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability.

*These crimes are technically only Clery reportable if they were hate/bias crimes. We recommend you report them even if they were not.

How does a CSA make a report to Public Safety?

A crime which just occurred or an emergency situation should be immediately reported to 9-1-1 and/or Public Safety by telephone. This needs to be followed up with a written report.

Written reports are to be submitted in the following manner:

  • A report form is available for this purpose on the Campus Safety website.
  • Complete the form to the best of your ability based on the information you have.  When you are done click the "Submit" button.
  • Please familiarize yourself with the report form so you have a better understanding of the types of information which need to be obtained if possible.
  • You may be contacted by a Public Safety officer for additional information.

The Department of Public Safety is responsible for maintaining all reported crime documentation. CSA's will be contacted annually to ensure that all mandated reports have been made. It is recommended that CSA's submitting reports retain copies of their reports for one year for this purpose.


Thank you for taking this required training. Your assistance is needed to ensure the university is fulfilling its obligations and remains a safe place to live, work, and learn. If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact Gary Gulbrandson, Director of Public Safety.

Take the CSA Test