UW-Superior is designated as a national testing center. This means that anyone can take a CLEP or DANTES exam of their choice at UW-Superior and request that their score be sent to the institution that they attend.
CLEP and Dantes exams are computer-based exams.
During the academic year (Sept.-May), tests may be scheduled from 8:00am - 2:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Whenever there is an opening in the testing center, a student can test. Tests are approximately 90-minutes long. Summer test dates are limited - use the link at the top of the page to view available dates and times
may receive college credit for passing scores on certain exams offered by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Educational Support (DANTES). See a list of these courses below.
The following policies and procedures must be followed in receiving credit by examination for UW-Superior credit:
Credit by exam is awarded only for those course exams approved by UW-Superior faculty.
Only students who are enrolled at UW-Superior may receive credit by exam. Students who take exams prior to actual enrollment at UW-Superior will receive college credit only after enrolling.
Student may acquire up to 30 semester credits by examination.
Credits awarded at UW-Superior for CLEP/DANTES may or may not be transferable to other institutions. Transfer credit is at the discretion of the institution to which a student is transferring.
When successful on a particular exam, the student is awarded credit for the course (no grades are awarded). Failure on an exam is not recorded on the student's transcript and has no effect on the student's record. The student can repeat the exam six months after the initial examination.
Normally, students will not be allowed to gain credit by examination for courses in which the student has already earned a grade. Exceptions to this policy may be granted only with the consent of the course instructor, program coordinator and the University Credits Committee.
To schedule and register to take a CLEP or DANTES exam at UW-Superior, please click on the appropriate tab at the top of this page.
CLEP offers computer-based testing only.
- Contact the UWS testing center at 715-394-8560 to schedule a date and time. You can also email Ms. Kristin Riesgraf.
- Go to the CLEP® exam registration site at My Account Registration Portal and register for the exam. You will pay the $80 test fee (credit card) when you register.
- Print your Admission Ticket and bring it with them to the Testing Center on the day of the test.
- When you arrive at the Testing Center on test day, you will pay the UWS Administrative fee of $20.00 with cash, check, or money order (non-refundable) payable to UW-Superior)
Access the CLEP guides at the following URL: https://clep.collegeboard.org
DANTES (DSST) exams are Internet based.
- Contact the UWS testing center at 715-394-8560 to schedule a date and time. You can also email Ms. Kristin Riesgraf. When you arrive at the Testing Center on test day, you will pay the UWS Administrative fee of $20.00 with cash, check, or money order (non-refundable) payable to UW-Superior).
- You will pay the $80 exam fee online with credit card prior to starting you exam.
Access the DANTES guides at the following URL: http://www.getcollegecredit.com/