Financial Aid Resources

Financial Aid Information

Learning About Financial Aid

Some sites are specifically for secondary students learning about going to college:

Filing for Financial Aid

Understanding Your Financial Aid Offer

  • Important Information related to your UW-Superior financial aid offer 
  • To ensure you receive only the amount of aid you wish to receive and to avoid paying charges for returning unwanted aid, you need to accept/decline your aid online. Please follow the directions on self-Service Information to electronically accept or decline financial aid.
  • Student Employment opportunities are found in a majority of offices/departments on campus.

Accepting/Declining Financial Aid

You are able to electronically accept, reduce or decline your financial aid offer. If you would like your Federal Student Loans and/or Federal Work Study you MUST ACCEPT THEM through your Student Center in E-Hive

Here are the directions for this process:

  1. Log into E-Hive
  2. Click on Student Center
  3. Under Finances, select Accept/Decline Awards
  4. Select the appropriate aid year
  5. Click the decline box for each aid type you are declining
  6. Click the accept box for each aid type you are accepting
  7. To reduce a loan, click the accept box and enter the amount in the accepted column
  8. Click Submit

If you want to make changes other than accepting, reducing or declining the entire amount of an individual aid type, click on the Request Counselor Action link and tell us what changes you do want.  Click Save, and then OK. We will make the changes for you. You can then view those changes in E-Hive when they have been completed. If we have questions or are unable to meet your request, we will email you at your UW-Superior student email address.  

If you prefer personal contact, please feel free to communicate your changes in writing, in person, via regular mail or email to finaid@uwsuper.eduInclude your name and student ID number in all communications. 

If you are unfamiliar with E-Hive and would like to learn how to use it, please contact the Help Desk at 715-394-8300, 800-806-2890 or via email.

Receiving Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans

These loans require you to complete a Federal Direct Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note – MPN) and Direct Loan Entrance Counseling the first time you borrow. The MPN is in effect for 10 years. Both the MPN and Entrance Counseling must be done online before your loan can be applied to your student account. Once a Federal Direct Loan applies to your account, you have 14 days to change your mind and either reduce the amount or decline it. For changes after that 14-day time period, you will need to work directly with your loan servicer. You can find your loan servicer online at

Master Promissory Note (MPN):
Entrance Counseling:

When prompted for school name, choose University of Wisconsin-Superior.

Disbursing of your Aid

Aid disburses as early as 10 days before your first class begins each semester and at least once a week thereafter. Disbursed aid is applied to your student account. Any remaining balance is your responsibility. Excess funds are issued to the student via a refund.

Common Errors that Delay Disbursement of Aid

  • MPN or Entrance Counseling not completed – check to-do list in E-Hive Student Center
  • Student is enrolled in fewer than full-time credits (wait listed classes are not included) and didn’t inform the Financial Aid Office – check your aid offer to see the credit load at which you were offered aid
  • Aid not accepted – check your E-Hive Student Center and Self Service Information
  • Change to the FAFSA – check to-do list in E-Hive Student Center to see if Financial Aid Office as requested anything

Receiving Financial Aid Refunds

For information please visit the Bursar’s/Cashier’s Office page. You may also contact the office at 715-394-8505, or stop by Old Main, Room 136.

Enrolling Less Than Fulltime

Some aid types require fulltime enrollment, but for most types of financial aid, you only need to be enrolled at least half time. Half time for undergraduates is 6 credits, while graduate students must be enrolled in 3-4.5 credits depending on their program. Less than half time undergraduate students may receive a Pell Grant provided other Pell criteria is met.

View enrollment status definitions.

Attending Summer College

Students who plan to attend Summer College are offered aid separately. Each year during spring semester, summer aid information will be emailed to the student’s UW-Superior email account. 

Finding Additional Funding Options


Applying for scholarships is a great way to earn free dollars to fund your education. Unlike other types of financial aid, scholarships are cash gifts provided by organizations or donors that do not need to be repaid. UW-Superior offers nearly 250 scholarships. Visit our scholarship page for more information.


If you are a dependent student (required to provide parent information on your FAFSA) and you need more money than the aid we have offered you, a PARENT PLUS loan is one option. It is a loan that your parent may borrow to help you pay for your educational expenses. It is subject to a credit check. If you are a Graduate student, you are able to borrow additional funding through the GRADUATE PLUS loan. Both applications can be found online after July 1 annually.

Alternative Loan

This is a private loan through an outside lender, like a bank. Students apply directly through the lender of their choosing. For most dependent students, a credit-worthy cosigner is required. Once you have applied for the loan, information is sent to our office for certification. More information, along with a link to FastChoice, where you can compare some popular alternative loans, can be found on our loans page.

Information on UW-Superior’s Cohort Default Rate (CDR) and average student loan debt may be found on UW System’s Accountability Dashboard.

Charging Books and Supplies

Students are eligible to charge books and necessary supplies up to $750 per semester to their student account through our bookstore in person at the Yellowjacket Union or online.

Purchasing a Computer, Child Care Expenses and Mileage

An add-on to your Cost of Attendance may be done for the purchase of a computer, school-related childcare expenses, and/or mileage. Most often, only additional loan money will be awarded. A Budget Add-On Request form, along with documentation must be provided to the Financial Aid Office. Please see the Budget Add-On Request form for additional information. Receipt of these funds is subject to eligibility for additional loans.

Planning to Study Away

If you are planning to study away during the year, you should contact the Study Away Office to request a financial aid revision. A grant may be available to Wisconsin residents who have financial need. This grant is subject to legislative changes without notice.

Releasing of Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) set forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records. For this reason, we are prohibited from discussing financial aid information with anyone other than the student. If you would like our office to be able to speak with someone other than you about your account, please submit a Request to Release of Non-Directory Information form.

Finding Other Federal Resources

  • AmeriCorps – AmeriCorps service members may be eligible for relief for federal and some private loans.
    • Minnesota Math Corps – an AmeriCorps program that provides trained math tutors for MN students grades 4-8
    • Minnesota Reading Corps -an AmeriCorps program that provides trained literacy tutors for MN children age 3 to grade 3
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs – helping Native Americans explore financial aid programs
  • Internal Revenue Service – information regarding higher education tax incentives
  • Peace Corps – If you have federal student loans, you may be eligible for deferment, partial cancellation, income-driven repayment or eligibility for the Public Loan Service Forgiveness Program during Peace Corps service.

Leaving UW-Superior

  • Before completing your studies at UW-Superior, if you have had any Direct Loans, you must complete online Exit Counseling. You will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office as a reminder to complete the Exit Counseling if you haven’t already done so in a timely manner.
  • If you would like to see your federal student loan history from any institution, you may view it through
  • If you have had any Perkins Loans, you must complete exit counseling. An exit interview informs the borrower of their Rights and Responsibilities regarding their Perkins loan.  This is a separate and different exit procedure than the Stafford loans. Once a student’s attendance at UWS falls below at least a half-time status, they should contact ECSI at 1-888-549-3274. ECSI will provide information as to where to go online for the interview or contact the Perkins Loan office at (715) 394-8348 .
  • If you withdraw from classes at UW-Superior, you may need to repay a portion of your financial aid, according to our refund policy.
  • If you unofficially withdraw from school (receive all F’s for the semester), you may need to repay a portion of your Title IV funds, according to our unofficial withdrawal policy.
  • If you withdraw from classes at UW-Superior, please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy to determine the effect on your future financial aid eligibility.
  • You may want to consider loan consolidation if you are leaving UW-Superior.