Throughout its history, the University of Wisconsin-Superior has committed to improving the lives and livelihoods of people in northwestern Wisconsin and beyond by seeking knowledge and spreading it to all who may benefit.
This commitment is reflected in its mission statement:
“The University of Wisconsin-Superior fosters intellectual growth and career preparation within a liberal arts tradition that emphasizes individual attention, embodies respect for diverse cultures and multiple voices, and engages the community and region.” (Approved by the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents, Feb. 6, 2015)
To accomplish these ends, the University will:
- Provide students with a carefully articulated and comprehensive foundation in liberal studies as a base for all degree programs.
- Award associate and baccalaureate degrees in selected fields in education, arts, humanities, sciences, social sciences, business, and pre-professional programs.
- Offer graduate programs in areas associated with its undergraduate emphases and strengths.
- Extend its undergraduate and graduate resources beyond the boundaries of the campus through alternative delivery of programs.
- Expect scholarly activity, including research, scholarship and creative endeavor, that supports its programs at the associate and baccalaureate degree levels, its selected graduate programs, and its special mission.
- Maintain an inclusive campus community that challenges students to develop their intellectual, personal, cultural, and social competencies.
- Engage in appropriate inter-institutional relationships and community partnerships to enhance educational and service opportunities.
- Foster, with University of Wisconsin-Extension, the development of cooperative and general outreach programming and the integration of the Extension function with that of this institution.
The University of Wisconsin-Superior will be known as an institution that transforms learners, engages the community, and enhances the vitality of its region.
At the University of Wisconsin-Superior, we are committed to academic excellence, with an emphasis on student-focused learning, intellectual and personal development, continuous improvement, inclusivity, community partnerships, and global awareness.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the educational mission of the University of Wisconsin-Superior. As a community we commit to recognize, include and value the inherent worth and dignity of each person; foster tolerance, sensitivity, understanding, mutual respect, and justice among its members; and encourage each individual to strive to reach their own potential. The institution recognizes that these experiences are crucial for developing the requisite skills to thrive as a member of a pluralistic society and as a responsible global citizen.
In pursuit of its goal of inclusive excellence, the University actively seeks to attract students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds and life experiences, including but not limited to: race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic background, cognitive ability, physical ability, religion and spirituality, value system, national origin, immigration or refugee status, veteran status, and political beliefs.
The University believes that diversity among its members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life. The University of Wisconsin-Superior views, evaluates, and treats each person in any University-related activity or circumstance in which they may be involved, solely as unique individuals.
Respectful Campus Statement
The University of Wisconsin-Superior is committed to promoting a respectful working, learning, and social environment where all members of the university community work together in a mutually respectful and healthy environment.
The University of Wisconsin-Superior is committed to providing a respectful campus, free of bullying, harassment, discrimination, violence, incivility, etc.
A respectful campus exhibits and promotes growth, knowledge, balance, respect, integrity, professionalism and community. These values that delineate a respectful campus apply to all members of the University of Wisconsin-Superior community. Practicing these values creates harmony in the living, working, and educational environment. Promoting personal accountability for one’s actions in maintaining a respectful, diverse, and collaborative culture allows us to resolve conflicts through civil conversations and grow as individuals as well as a community.
The University of Wisconsin-Superior strives to foster an environment that reflects courtesy, civility, and respectful communication. Such an environment promotes community, balance, learning, research, and productivity through relationship building. A respectful campus environment is absolutely necessary for the success of the University’s mission to foster intellectual growth and career preparation within a liberal arts tradition. This tradition emphasizes individual attention and embodies respect for diverse cultures and multiple voices that engage the community and region.
Through this statement, the University of Wisconsin-Superior continues to reaffirm its commitment to the principle of a respectful campus for all while developing and sustaining programs that address equal opportunity, discrimination, etc. This statement is made not because we are required to, but because we are devoted to supporting a respectful campus.
Dr. Renee Wachter, Ph.D.
May 15, 2017