Graduation and Commencement FAQs

Tuition and Bills

What is the Senior Fee used for?

All students who have attained 84 credits or more will be assessed a senior processing fee of $50. The fee covers the cost of the diploma and expenses of the commencement ceremony. All students must pay the fee whether or not they participate in the ceremony.


When is commencement?

Complete graduation and commencement information is available on the Graduation/Commencement page or you can email

Is there a professional photographer at commencement? How do I get the photos?

Grad Images will be offering professional photos for graduates. Graduates will be sent an individual link to the personal email on file. The link sent will allow graduates to view and purchase their pictures approximately 2-3 weeks after the ceremony.

Is there a way to watch commencement on the web?

The commencement ceremony will be live-streamed. You can view the event at:

How do I receive my paper degree or diploma?

All diplomas are sent via U.S. Mail to the address indicated on your graduation application. Diplomas are sent out 4-6 weeks after the end of the semester of graduation (May or December).

This does not apply to summer candidates. Summer diplomas are sent out via U.S. Mail 4-6 weeks after the last day of summer classes.

Please note that all indebtedness to the university must be cleared before a diploma and official transcripts will be released. The transcript, not diploma, is proof of an earned degree.

What color tassel I should wear?

Undergraduate Candidates:

You can purchase a black tassel from the ‘Jacket Book and Supply.

Graduate Candidates:

The graduate candidates tassels match the Master’s Degree color that is on their hoods and are purchased with your regalia from ‘Jacket Book and Supply.

Who all needs tickets for the ceremony?

Due to building capacity per the fire code, every guest entering the arena must present a guest ticket. This includes babies and small children, even if they will sit on adult laps. We invite you to consider utilizing our overflow room (which does not require tickets) so children can move freely around. The overflow room will have a livestream of the ceremony playing.

How do I apply for graduation?

Students expecting to graduate at the end of the term should apply for graduation no later than the date specified in the academic calendar. Applications are submitted via E-Hive. Under “Academics” in the Student Center is a “Graduation” link where graduation applications are submitted.

What are degree honors and am I eligible?

Degree honors eligibility is calculated using both resident GPA and transfer GPA. A student must earn the minimum GPA at each of the levels of distinction: degree, major, second major or minor.

Commencement honor cords will be given to students who participate in the Commencement Ceremony based on the student’s cumulative GPA (including transfer GPA plus UW-Superior GPA) based on the prior semester’s cumulative GPA.

Honors posted on official transcripts will be based on the student’s final cumulative GPA (including transfer GPA plus UW-Superior GPA) after all grades have been posted.

Honors cord categories are as follows:

  • Summa Cum Laude 3.85 to 4.00 GPA (black, yellow, and white cords)
  • Magna Cum Laude 3.60 to 3.849 GPA (yellow cords)
  • Cum Laude 3.40 to 3.599 GPA (silver cords)

NOTE: Degree honors and honors cords are only available for bachelor degree candidates.

How do I apply for and receive a certificate?

Complete the certificate application and return it to the Registrar’s Office. Applications can be found at the Registrar’s office and online.

Where can I get a frame for my diploma?

‘Jacket Book and Supply has a wide variety of diploma frames available. You can stop in to the store at the Yellowjacket Union or find them online.

Where do I get my cap and gown for commencement?

Caps, gowns and graduate candidate hoods may be purchased at the ‘Jacket Book and Supply. Regalia must be worn by all students walking in the commencement ceremony.

Do I need to pay a fee to graduate?

The graduation fee is now the senior fee and is assessed on student bills once senior status has been achieved. There are no additional fees for graduation. The fee pays for the processing and printing of the degree and transcripts and other expenses related to graduation and commencement.