Guidelines and Policies for Thursday Study Nights and Summer Component
The Upward Bound program offers resources to help students succeed academically. Study nights are held from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Thursday study nights, and students are encouraged to stay until at least 5:30 p.m. Tutors will also be available from 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and on other days upon request. As you know, attendance at Thursday tutoring sessions and Saturday events is mandatory in the Upward Bound Program. You will be held accountable for your attendance. It is very important to get excused from UB when you are unable to attend (because of extracurricular activities, etc). You may excuse yourself by calling or stopping by the office in advance to let us know when you will be absent. Communicating an expected absence by Facebook, texting, or through friends is not acceptable. We need to hear your voice!
- Students will receive $20.00 per month when their GPA is 2.3 or above, not including incentive bonuses.
- *Students who earn a GPA of < 2.3 will earn $0 and risk possible academic probation, and will be subject to additional tutoring on Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays, suspension, or dismissal.
- *Students who earn a GPA o f 4.0 at the end of any grade period will earn a bonus $10.
- *At the end of the first semester (two grading periods) students can earn a bonus $10 when their GPA is 3.5 or above.
- *At the end of the first semester, students can earn a bonus $5 when grades average 3 .0 – 3.49.
- *Students will have $10 deducted from their stipend for every F grade earned.
- *Students will have $5 deducted from their stipend for every D grade earned.
- * Students will have $10 deducted from their stipend for unexcused Saturday Academies or if the absence is not made up.
- *Students who have three unexcused absences on Thursdays per month will receive a – $10 deduction. Work is not an excused absence.
- *Students will earn an extra $5.00 on the spot as an added incentive for attending Saturday Academies.
- *Students are not allowed to leave early or come late to Saturday Academies.
Don’t forget, you can excuse yourself with good reason. This is your responsibility.
Please remember: stipends are designed to reward those students who demonstrate solid academic work ethic, commitment and accountability. Stipends must be picked up within 30 days of first distribution. This is your responsibility!
Guidelines for Summer Component
You may not be eligible to participate in the summer component if you:
- Miss more than two Saturday Academies. This includes leaving early and/or coming late.
- Have more than four unexcused Thursday tutoring sessions.
- Have more than eight excused Thursday tutoring sessions.
- Have less than a 2.0 GPA after a grade period.
Remember: The Summer Program is a privilege, not a right. You are held to high expectations, and we are confident that you can reach them. Keep up the great work each day, and make a commitment to yourself to be a better person and leader!