International Student Information

International Student Information

The Office of Intercultural Student Success (ISS) strives to provide the best services, engaging programs and events, and exceptional student support for international students. If you have any questions including maintaining your non-immigrant status, getting involved, adjusting to American culture, or any other academic/non-academic issues you may be facing, please feel free to visit our office, or better yet, make an appointment with one of the staff members in our office.

While ISS has official responsibilities mandated and authorized by the federal government, it is important to note that it is not part of the Department of Homeland Security or any other government agency. Our staff is employed by UW-Superior and is dedicated to the mission of assisting our international students and exchange visitors to successfully achieve their academic goals in the U.S. 

Jump down to:

Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) was implemented by  the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to collect, maintain, and manage information about all foreign students and exchange visitors during their stay in the United States. SEVIS tracks and monitors schools and programs, students, exchange visitors, and their dependents throughout the duration of approved participation in the U.S. education system. SEVIS requires all schools and related academic institutions to regularly submit and update student information electronically in a central database that can be accessed by the government.

SEVIS Reporting Requirements

U.S. federal law and regulations require schools to update and maintain the SEVIS records of nonimmigrant students in F and J visa categories. The Office of International programs manages SEVIS reports for the university. It is extremely important to keep your email, telephone and address updated in E-Hive so that we can contact you in urgent situations where your SEVIS record may be in jeopardy. 


Employment is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room and board, and/or other significant benefits. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 regulations. You must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for the employment benefit; maintaining status means that you register for classes full-time (except for approved exceptions) and that you remain in good academic standing with a valid I-20.

On-Campus Employment

Your F-1 student status permits you to work on campus at UW-Superior. Per federal regulations (8 CFR 214.2 (f)(9)(ii)), students with F-1 status may work on campus part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the academic year, and full-time (up to 40 hours per week) during official school vacation periods. On-campus employment includes any jobs for which the University of Wisconsin-Superior will pay you (examples: library student worker, math tutor, grader, residence assistant, etc.). It might also include work with vendors that perform on school premises, if such work provides a direct service to students (such as Chartwells food service). Due to federal regulations, it is highly encouraged that international students only have one on-campus job due to 1) the complexities of coordinating, monitoring and tracking hours worked; 2) fulfilling their primary academic objective; 3) maintaining their immigration status. Some students may be authorized to be employed at an off-campus location, which is educationally affiliated with UW-Superior. The educational affiliation must be associated with your academic department’s established curriculum and be an integral part of your educational program. This affiliation may be related to contractually funded research projects. If you are not sure whether the employment opportunity would meet the definition of “on-campus” employment, please contact International Student Services (ISS) at

Your I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment at UW-Superior. Pre-approval from ISS is not required. However, you are required to apply for a Social Security number if this is your first time working in the U.S.

It’s the student’s responsibility to monitor and track the number of hours worked per week. Students who do not comply with the federal regulations set forth in (8 CFR 214.2 (f)(9)(ii)) will result in termination of status and/or employment and will need to seek status reinstatement with International Student Services.

For more information on the federal regulations for on-campus employment, please visit

Applying for a Social Security Number

Your I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment at UW-Superior. Pre-approval from ISS is not required. However, you are required to apply for a Social Security number if this is your first time working in the U.S.

Students in F-1 status are eligible to get a Social Security Number only if they have employment. That is, you may apply for a card if you have found a job, and get a letter from your supervisor describing the job, how many hours per week it is, and when it will start.

To obtain a Letter of Employment, ask your supervisor to:

  1. Download and complete the Letter of Employment (view a sample letter)
  2. Print it out on Department or University letterhead
  3. Sign it and return it to you

Then you should bring it to the Office of Intercultural Student Success (ISS) for a staff member’s signature.

Approximately 30 days into each semester ISS staff will start taking students who have found jobs to the Social Security Office to apply for a number. If you need to apply, watch your email for announcements about these trips.

To apply for a Social Security Number, you will need the following:

Most on-campus employers will allow you to work before you receive your number in the mail, but be sure to ask them. A’viands will not permit you to begin working until you receive your card. Once you receive your card, take it to Jenny Kroll in the Financial Aid Office, Old Main 110, so she can record your number. As a general rule, do not carry your Social Security Card with you; keep it in a safe place.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a temporary authorization for practical training directly related to your major field of study. CPT has to be “integral to your established curriculum,” as allowed by the immigration rules. CPT can be paid or unpaid. ISS authorizes CPT.

CPT can include

  • Internship experience (paid or unpaid)
  • Practicum participation
  • Employment


CPT authorization can be:

  • Part-time (20 hours per week or less)
  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week)
  • During the regular academic year
  • During summer or winter breaks


If you accumulate 12 months (365 or more days) of full-time CPT authorization, you lose your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Part-time CPT authorization, or fewer than 12 months of full-time CPT authorization, does not affect your OPT eligibility.


You may be eligible to apply for CPT if you:

  • Are currently in valid F-1 status
  • Have been enrolled full-time at a college or university in the U.S. for at least one academic year (two semesters)
  • Are a graduate student whose programs require immediate participation in CPT. The program requirement must be for all students in the program and listed in the program’s curriculum description.
  • Transferred your SEVIS records directly to UW-Superior from a previous college in the U.S. (you may count study time at the previous school).
  • Will earn internship course credits in your academic department for the CPT experience. ISS does not require you to earn internship course credit if your degree requires internship experience of all students for graduation
  • Have a job or internship offer

Curricular Practical Training FAQs

What class can I take to earn course credits for CPT?

The credit could be an internship, practicum, independent study, or similar course through your academic department—your department adviser can help identify the appropriate course. Internship courses outside of your academic department usually do not qualify for CPT.

Can I do my internship in the fall and receive credits in the spring?

The credit must be earned in the same semester for which CPT is authorized.

How many credits do I have to take?

You must earn at least one CPT-related credit for each semester of authorization granted.

Can I do CPT during my last semester?

Yes. However, if you apply for CPT authorization in your final semester you must register for at least one additional course in addition to your CPT-credit. CPT-credit cannot be the only credit on your final quarter schedule unless it is fulfilling a degree requirement.

How do I apply?

Before applying for CPT, please speak to your department/faculty adviser. Each department manages internship credits differently. The department adviser will need to complete the “Adviser Recommendation”; this person should be familiar with your degree program and job/internship offer.

Do not start a job or internship until you receive CPT authorization from ISS (new I-20).

Sign into your Terra Dotta Portal and apply  

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) provides F-1 students with an opportunity for hands-on work experience (work authorization) related to the academic field of study.

Post-completion OPT

OPT authorization that begins after completion of your academic program is called “post-completion” OPT. This is the most common type of OPT. Post-completion OPT is full-time, and it can begin after you complete your degree or after you complete all course requirements for your degree, excluding thesis or equivalent.

Pre-completion OPT

OPT used while you are still enrolled in your course of study is called “pre-completion” OPT. Pre-completion OPT is uncommon. Usually current students are eligible for alternate employment authorization, such as Curricular Practical Training. Because pre-completion OPT is deducted from the 12 months of OPT eligibility, most students prefer to save OPT for after program completion. You may start the OPT application process up to 90 days before your requested employment start date. Pre-completion OPT can be approved:

  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) or part-time (20 hours per week or less) during summer or winter  breaks
  • Part-time (20 hours per week or less) while school is in session (Fall and spring)

Eligibility for post-completion or pre-completion OPT

You are eligible to apply if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are currently in F-1 status.
  • You have been enrolled in a full course of study for one academic year or will complete one academic year by the date the OPT approval begins.
  • You have not been authorized for a total of 12 months of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Part-time CPT does not affect OPT eligibility.
  • You do not need a job offer first; you can apply for the 12-month OPT authorization without a job offer.
  • You have not previously completed 12 months of OPT at the same degree level.

Applying for OPT

When to Apply

You can apply for pre-completion OPT any time after you have completed the one year requirement. For post-completion OPT, you can apply up to 90 days before your program end date and within 60 days of program end date (your program end date is the last day of the semester that you plan to graduate). It is advisable to apply as soon as you are allowed. It takes 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 months for the USCIS to process an OPT application.

How to Apply

While a Designated School Official (DSO) recommends OPT in SEVIS, it is the student who must apply for the work permit with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). We do not approve the application or have the authority to influence the process. If there is a request for information or to correct a problem, USCIS will notify you of the request but it is your responsibility to respond. If the OPT is approved, USCIS will issue an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). The student must not begin working before the start date on the EAD. You are required to attend the OPT workshop before your request will be approved.

Complete Your OPT Applicationby signing into your Terra Dotta Portal and filling out the application. Once you complete the application and gather all of the required items on the checklist, make an appointment with the EDI Coordinator for International Student Services (ISS) at The EDI Coordinator for ISS will review your application. Please think about your OPT start date before meeting with the EDI Coordinator for ISS.

How to choose your OPT start date:

  • The “start date” is the date your work permission begins. You cannot work earlier than the start date, but you can start working later.
  • Your requested start date must be within 60 days after your program completion date. For example, if you graduate or complete your program May 15, your start date can be no later than August 14.

After Mailing OPT Application to USCIS

USCIS will send you a receipt notice (I-797 Notice of Action) confirming receipt of your OPT application, assigning a “receipt date,” and assigning a receipt number. Carefully review the notice to make sure your name is spelled correctly. If it is not, contact our office immediately.

You may use the receipt number on your receipt notice to check the status of your application online. It is normal for your case status to say “Case Was Received” for most of the 3-5 month processing period.

Once your card is approved

You have 90 days of unemployment. If you are unable to find employment before 90 days ended, your OPT authorization will be terminated. You can volunteer or do an internship to stop that “unemployment clock” as long as the opportunity is directly related to your major.

STEM OPT Extension

Students in their 12-month OPT authorization period, with a qualifying STEM degree and working for an E-Verify registered employer, may apply for an extension of their OPT. STEM OPT refers to the 24-month extension of post-completion optional practical training (OPT).

To complete the STEM extension request, sign into your Terra Dotta Portal and apply.  

Off-Campus Employment: Severe Economic Hardship

On occasion, students in F-1 status experience a sudden and unexpected change in their financial situation. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may authorize off-campus employment to help alleviate the situation. In order to qualify for off-campus work, you must have been in F-1 status for at least nine months. You must also be able to document the nature of your financial problem so that the USCIS can decide if off-campus work permission is warranted. If permission is granted, you may still only work 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during school vacations. Your total employment from all sources cannot exceed 20 hours during the academic year. Please make an appointment with an EDI coordinator for ISS if you think that you qualify for off-campus work permission due to economic hardship.

For more information on the federal regulations for off-campus employment, please visit 

Maintaining your Status

While studying in the United States, it is important to maintain your F student status. Your status relates to the purpose, or reason for why you want to come to the United States. The U.S. Department of State issues your visa based on your intended purpose. If the Department of State issues you an F student visa, this means that you are coming to the United States to study. You should not take any action that detracts from that purpose. Maintaining your status means:

  • Fulfilling the purpose for why the Department of State issued your visa.
  • Following the regulations associated with that purpose.

To maintain legal visa status and your eligibility to continue studying at the UWS, you must abide by the following immigration regulations:

First STEM OPT Extension

A student may request a first STEM OPT extension if:

  • They are in a period of Active Post-Completion OPT.
  • Their primary or secondary major was a STEM-eligible field, or the student completed a previous primary or secondary major in a currently STEM-eligible field.
  • They have not already had a STEM OPT extension of any duration based on the qualifying STEM degree.
  • Their qualifying STEM degree was at the bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level.
  • Their qualifying STEM degree was earned within the ten previous years of the date the DSO recommends the STEM OPT extension.
  • They will be, or are currently working for an employer enrolled in the E-Verify program.

Second STEM OPT Extension

A student may request a second STEM OPT extension if:

  • They have a second STEM degree at a higher level than the one used for the first STEM OPT extension.
  • They have not already based any portion of a STEM OPT extension on the second STEM degree.
  • Their second STEM degree meets all the above requirements.

Full-Time Enrollment

You must enroll in a full-time course of study each term:

  • Undergraduate students: At least 12 credits
  • Graduate students: At least 9 credits

Reduced Course Load

F-1 student visa regulations require F-1 students to study full-time each term. Exceptions to the full-time requirement must be approved by the EDI Coordinator for ISS. You can request permission to take a reduced course load of less than 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits by submitting the reduced course load request before the last day to add/drop classes.  Here are the circumstances that you may qualify:

Final term of study: Available only if a full course load is not needed the final term to complete degree requirements.

Initial Academic Difficulties: Available only to first year students and can only be granted one time.

Medical leave: Available to students who have been recommended by a medical professional to take a term off or enrolled in a reduced course load due to an illness or medical condition. This can include mental health.

If you believe you are qualified, please sign into your Terra Dotta Portal and apply  

Online Courses

An online course is defined as a course that is offered exclusively online and does not require your physical attendance for lectures, examinations, labs or other purposes integral to completion of the class. For undergraduate students, you are required to have at least 9 credits on campus courses. If you are registered for 12 credits, 9 credits has to be on-campus and 3 credits can be online.

*** You may not take only online classes in your final term of study; your final term must include at least one lecture class.

Making Normal Progress

You are required to make normal academic progress toward degree completion. Normal progress means enrolling full-time and maintaining a satisfactory grade point average (GPA) each term of a 2.0 or higher for undergraduate students, or a 3.0 or higher for graduate students. Students who fail to make normal progress may be found ineligible for F-1 benefits such as I-20 extensions.

If you are disqualified, suspended or expelled from UWS, you are no longer eligible to continue studying at UWS. Your F-1 or J-1 visa status ends immediately. Please meet with the EDI Coordinator for ISS if you are having problems making normal progress toward degree completion and/or have been disqualified from UWS.

Maintaining Valid Immigration Documents

I-20: Do not let your I-20 expire if you have not completed your degree program. If you need more time to complete your degree, you must request an extension of your I-20 at least two weeks before the program end date expires. Failure to request and obtain a program extension prior to the program end date will result in termination of your immigration status.

Passport: Your passport should be valid at least 6 months into the future. If your passport will expire within 6 months, you must get it renew through the embassy or consulate of your home country.

Change of Address, Phone, or Email

International students are required to update E-hive within 10 days of a change of US address, phone number, or email address.

Grace Period

F-1 students who complete an academic degree or their one-year Optional Practical Training (OPT) period have a 60-day grace period to remain in the U.S. During the grace period, students cannot work and must leave the U.S. before the grace period ends, be admitted to a new degree program, transfer to another school, or seek another immigration status.

F-1 students who have received prior authorization from an international student advisor to withdraw from classes have 15 days to depart the U.S. after the withdrawal date. Students who withdraw from classes without prior authorization are not eligible for a grace period.

I-20 Extension

In order to obtain a program extension, you must show that you have continually maintained status and that the extension is needed for compelling academic or medical reasons, such as a change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or a documented illness. Delays in completing your program caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extension approval [8 CFR § 214.2 (f) (7) (iii)].

Extension of stay can be granted only for documented academic or medical reasons.

You may be eligible for an I-20 extension if the following criteria are met:

  1. The delay was caused by documented academic or medical circumstances,
  2. You have sufficient financial resources to fund your studies and living expenses, and
  3. The extension is requested in a timely manner, with sufficient time for processing before the current expiration

The following are not valid reasons for I-20 extensions:

  • To enroll in extra courses or repeat the same course for personal interest or to improve one’s GPA
  • To engage in research on or off-campus
  • To finish pending coursework for an incomplete grade
  • To engage in non-required Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • To enroll in course work delayed by participation in non-required CPT

An I-20 which has already passed the program end date cannot be extended.

If your program end date has expired or you do not meet the eligibility requirements to apply for a program extension, it will be necessary to file for reinstatement to F-1 status with USCIS, for which you will have to pay a substantial fee. In addition, failure to apply for an extension of stay in a timely manner is a violation of F-1 regulations, which can carry heavy penalties.

Submit this request by signing into your Terra Dotta Portal to request an extension of your I-20 at least 30 days before your current I-20 expires.

Transferring Out

Admission to a new school does not by itself authorize an international student in F-1 status to begin studying full-time at the new school.

You must request your current school to transfer/release your F-1 SEVIS record to your new school before you can begin full-time studies there. The U.S. government calls this process a “SEVIS transfer.” (It is different from an “academic transfer.”)

Please sign into your Terra Dotta Portal and apply.  


I-20 and Travel Signature

If you are travelling within the U.S., including it’s territories such as Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Guam, you do not need an updated travel signature. For travel to the rest of the world:

  • If you are a full-time student who will continue studying after you return to the USA, the signature at the bottom of page 2 of your current I-20 (if you are on an F-1 visa) must be less than one year old (we recommend 6 months) when you re-enter the United States.

If you are on Optional Practical Training (OPT), the signature at the bottom of page 2 of your current I-20 must be less than six months old on the day you re-enter the USA.


Your passport should be valid for at least six months into the future at all times. You can renew your passport in your home country or at a foreign consulate in the U.S.

Visa Stamp

You must have a valid F-1 student visa to reenter the U.S. Your visa can expire while you are inside the U.S. You cannot renew your F-1 or J-1 visa inside the U.S. If your visa expires during your travel, you must renew it prior to returning to the U.S.

Drivers License or State ID

To apply for a Wisconsin State ID Card or Driver License you must go to a state Department of Motor Vehicles. Be advised that the requirements for getting an ID/Driver License are very strict.  If you do not have the proper documents, listed below, you will not be able to apply.

Individuals can find the local DMV at:
Superior Service Center
1701 N. 4th Street 
Superior, WI 54880

The following documents are required to apply for an ID Card or Driver License:

  1. Proof of Name and Date of Birth: Valid foreign passport with I-94 card, arrival and departure record.
  2. Proof of identity (one of the following):
    • Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration (be sure it is signed before you show it to the DMV official).  If you are not eligible for a card because you are not employed, tell the official this.  They may require a letter from the Social Security Administration that says that you are not eligible for a Social Security Number.
    • A valid WI or out-of-state driver license (not a Canadian driver license) or ID card with your photograph. Note: Temporary out-of-state driving receipts are not acceptable.
  3. Proof of legal presence: Valid foreign passport with appropriate immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019), accompanied by federal form I-94, arrival and departure record. Note: The appropriate immigration documents determine legal presence, not the passport itself.  You will be issued a Wisconsin ID only if you have 6 months or more left on your I-20 or DS-2019.  If you have applied for OPT, please show them page three.
  4. Proof of residency in Wisconsin (one of the following):
    • Paycheck or stub with your name and Wisconsin address, and your employer’s name and address.  Your employer’s telephone number may be required for verification.
    • An account statement from a Wisconsin financial institution (bank).  The account statement must show activity within the last 30 days. Printouts from an online statement are not acceptable; the statement must be printed on bank stationery, and mailed to you.
    • Certified school record or transcript.
    • A utility bill for water, gas, electricity or land-line telephone service at least 30 days old.

For full details, refer to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

Driving with a foreign driver license

Foreign students attending school in the U.S. who are at least 16 years old and whose privilege to operate a motor vehicle in Wisconsin is not suspended, revoked, canceled or disqualified, can drive with their home country’s valid license for up to one year. After one year, they must meet the same licensing requirements as a Wisconsin resident.

In addition to having a valid foreign driver’s license, visitors are advised to carry an International Driving Permit obtained in their home country.

probationary driver license will be issued to:

  • persons under 21
  • persons with a driver license from another country who pass the required tests
  • persons who have less than three years of driving experience

Wisconsin residents OVER 18 years of age are eligible for a probationary driver license if they fulfill the following requirements:

For full details, refer to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Additional resource: Department of Motor Vehicles Fact Sheet


Disclaimer: The information contained on this page and related links is intended for UW-Superior international students only. It is provided as a general guide, and is not intended to substitute for advice from a qualified tax professional. We cannot assume responsibility for use of this information by other people or entities. Thank you for your understanding.

Please note: If you arrived in the U.S. for the first time on or after January 1 of this year, you do not have to send in any tax forms this year.

A further note: The information in this page applies to F-1 international students who are considered to be non-resident aliens for tax purposes’. Generally speaking, students who have been in the US for more than all or parts of 5 years are considered to be ‘resident aliens for tax purposes’ and must file different tax forms. If you are in doubt about your status for tax purposes, do the IRS “Substantial Presence Test“.

Most international students who have been in the US for 5 or fewer years are considered ‘non-resident aliens’ for tax purposes’, and may have to complete one or more of the following tax forms:

Form 8843. All international students must file this form, even if you had no employment in the previous calendar year. See sample form here. Note: if you use GLACIER, this form is included with your federal form.

Federal tax form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

If you earned more than $0.01 last year or received Foundation scholarships, you must file a federal tax return. University of Wisconsin-Superior provides free access to tax preparation software, GLACIER, to help you prepare Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. Attend a tax information session if you need guidance. 

Wisconsin Form 1NPR, for non-residents of WI. If you had Wisconsin State taxes withheld from your pay, and want a refund, you must file a state tax form. This is a fillable form that can be e-filed for FREE. See the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website for details and instructions.

You must also file a state tax form if you earned more than $2000 last year, even if your wages were exempt from federal taxes.

Minnesota Schedule M1NR, for non-residents of MN. It must be filed with Minnesota Form M1, Individual Income Tax Form

The tax reciprocity agreement between Wisconsin and Minnesota ended in 2010, so you may have to file both Minnesota and Wisconsin State tax forms if:

  • you lived off campus in Minnesota, and worked on campus at UW-Superior in, or
  • you lived in Wisconsin, and did Practical Training (CPT or OPT) in Minnesota in.

Be sure to complete your federal tax form before filling out your state tax forms, as you will need information from your federal form for your state form(s).

The Office of ISS does not provide tax preparation software or advice for state tax forms. We cannot guarantee their accuracy or suitability for your particular tax situation. Please understand that ISS staff can offer guidelines only, and that the responsibility for submitting the correct tax forms remains with you.

For more specific federal tax questions, call the Non-resident Alien Tax Help Line of the IRS at 1-267-941-1000, or visit the websites below.

For Wisconsin state tax questions, call the Individual Income Tax Help Line at 1-608-266-2486, or visit the websites below.

Tax websites:

Important note about employment and taxesCheck your pay statements each pay period. Even if you have your pay deposited directly to your bank account, it’s important to check your pay statements to be sure that the proper amounts of tax are being withheld (or not withheld). Different tax rules apply to most F-1 international students, so you should be sure to tell your employer that you are an F-1 student when it is time to do your employment paperwork, especially the Form W-4.

 In particular, you should check the following:

  • Federal and State Tax: These are usually withheld from your pay each pay period. If you are from a country that has a tax treaty agreement with the US, you may be exempt from tax on some or all of your wages. You must ask your employer for the correct forms if you want to claim a tax treaty exemption.
  • Social Security and Medicare (also called FICA) taxes: These should NOT be withheld from your pay, unless you are considered to be a ‘resident for tax purposes’. If they are being improperly withheld, then you will have to file some extra paperwork to get a refund, which can be a significant amount of money. Follow the instructions to request a refund.

Source: IRS Publication 519, Chapter 8.

Health Care and Insurance

The University of Wisconsin System requires all F-1 students to have illness and accidental insurance coverage. The requirement is for your protection because medical care in the U.S. is very expensive.

UW-Superior provides an international student accident and sickness insurance policy underwritten by Consolidated Health Plan (CHP).The charge will be automatically listed on your account and does not need to be paid separately. The insurance covers illness, accidents, preventative care and routine physical examinations ONLYIt does not cover sports examinations, routine vision or dental care. We strongly recommend that you take care of these needs in your home country before coming to UW-Superior, or while you are home during university breaks.

Coverage Period

Fall coverage: August 5 to January 9

Spring coverage: January 10 to August 4

Immunizations and Vaccinations

Students at public universities in Wisconsin are not required to submit immunization or health records. However, UW-Superior is required to provide certain immunization-related information and recommendations which can be found here

In addition, when students submit a UW-Superior housing contract, they are required to confirm receipt of immunization information, state whether they have received meningococcal and hepatitis B vaccinations, and if so, list the date of vaccination(s). It is not necessary to submit immunization, health or vaccine-related records or documents to UW-Superior. We recommend that you get any necessary immunizations and vaccinations prior to arriving on campus. 


Per University of Wisconsin System policy, all UW-Superior international students (in F-1 or J-1 status) are required to participate in the insurance policy arranged by the University of Wisconsin System and administered by Wellfleet unless they are registered in one of the pre-approved plans listed below. 

  • Insurance coverage by a US-based group health plan as an employee or dependent of an employee
  • Embassy of Oman / Cultural Division
  • KAUST Gifted Student Program
  • The Hadhramout Foundation Scholarship Program
  • Norwegian National Insurance Scheme (HELFO)
  • Royal Thai Embassy (OEA)
  • Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission (SACM)(Financial Guarantee Letter required)
  • Student Scholarship Program (SSP) of SABIC
  • United Arab Emirates Cultural Division

Students may apply for a waiver to the insurance requirement by submitting a completed waiver application on an annual basis, along with a copy of the front and back of the health insurance ID card and/or written verification of coverage. Please sign into your Terra Dotta Portal and apply for a waiver if you believe you are qualified.

Wellfleet Insurance Portal – set up your account/sign-in to print your insurance ID, view benefits summary, and view your claim status.

UW-Superior Student Health and Counseling Services offers variety of services such as mental health counseling, medical health referral, etc. Don’t hesitate to stop by their office and ask for help.