Crisis Resources and Information

Mental Health Crisis Information

Crisis Resources

In the event of a mental health emergency, call 911 or contact one of these other crisis options. If someone is in imminent danger, do NOT call a crisis line—always contact 911.

  • Superior Police: 911
  • University Police: 715-394-8114
  • Douglas County 24-hour Crisis Line: 715-395-2259
  • National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: 988 (see below for additional information)
  • Crisis Text Line, Crisis Counselor: Text HOME to 741741 or Text MN to 741741
  • Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255, press 1 or text 838255
  • Trans Lifeline’s Hotline: 1-877-565-8860

National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline

The number 9-8-8 is the new National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline support number. You can now call or text 988, as well as chat on for 24-hour support. Students and faculty are encouraged to use the Douglas County 24-Hour Crisis Line (715-395-2259) first as they can provide local knowledge and resources. Support is offered from state-certified emergency mental health service providers.

When to Call

If you (or another person):

  • Are overwhelmed or out of control
  • Have severe depression, anxiety or grief
  • Are in an emotional crisis
  • Need help to reduce immediate emotional/mental stress
  • Have symptoms of acute psychiatric illness
  • Need other emergency mental health services

This information serves as a guide for students in crisis

Do you want to hurt or kill yourself?

 If you think you are in imminent danger of killing yourself:

1. Call 911.

2. Talk to a professional who can help.

3. Don’t discount your feelings. Take them seriously.

4. Ask for help from others you trust and who can give you support such as: friends, family or clergy.

5. Don’t use alcohol and drugs; they can increase the chances you could hurt yourself.

Have you or has someone you know been sexually assaulted?

If you have been sexually assaulted and choose to report the assault to the police, call 911.

The following are options you can consider:

  • Female survivors may request a female police officer.
  • You have the right to stop the legal process at any time. University Police is available at 715-394-8114 .
  • Do not shower, douche or change clothes.
  • Have a medical examination at a hospital emergency room.
  • Bring along a change of clothes; police may want the original clothing as evidence.
  • Write down all the details about the attack that you can recall as soon as possible.
  • Inform the officer of all the details of the attack, however intimate, and notify the officer of anything unusual you may have noticed about the attacker.
  • An advocate from a local sexual assault program (CASDA) can be called (715-392-3136) for support and assistance.

If you choose not to report to the police, there are a few things you should do to ensure good physical and mental health:

  • Get a thorough medical exam. There is a need to check for lacerations, the possibility of pregnancy, and the possibility of sexually transmitted diseases.
  • Get another check-up at least six weeks after the assault to check for pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases.
  • Get personal support from friends, on-campus resources, counseling services, or a community rape crisis center.

Are you worried about a friend’s safety?

If a friend is in imminent danger of killing or hurting themselves, call 911.

Other resources to contact:

After calling 911:

1. Remain calm and listen closely; be supportive of their situation and feelings.
2. Don’t leave your friend alone.
3. If weapons are present, don’t put yourself in danger. Call 911 immediately!
4. Encourage your friend to get professional help.

Food Insecurity

UW-Superior has the Yellowjacket Food Pantry for students who are experiencing food insecurity.