Forms and Policies

Jump down to:


Residence Life Handbook

Residence Life Handbook – The Residence Life Handbook is for both our UW-Superior students as well as non-UW-Superior students (Northwood Tech or LSC students). It includes information such as:

  • sample contract, how to use our contracting website
  • legal terms of the housing contract (including payment information)
  • policies for the res halls
  • immunization information
  • services available in the halls
  • staffing structures
  • conduct and behavioral processes for the halls

Emotional Support Animal/Assistance Animal Policy

Review the UW-Superior Emotional Support Animal/Assistance Animal Policy. All students requesting an emotional support animal/assistance animal must have their medical or mental health provider complete the UW-Superior UW-Superior Emotional Support Animal/Assistance Animal Policy and Provider Form.

Gender Inclusive Policy

At UW-Superior, we strive to create and promote inclusive communities where people of all identities are respected. Residence Life is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for all students. We offer Gender Inclusive Housing options to ensure that University Housing is a supportive space for residents of all gender identities and gender expressions. Gender Inclusive Housing consists of rooms where students can live with any student – regardless of sex, gender, gender identity or expression.

Residence Life has designated rooms on specific floors to be available for Gender Inclusive Housing. The buildings that have gender inclusive housing have unisex/gender neutral restrooms. Students that desire to be considered for Gender Inclusive Housing will be asked to fill out that portion of the roommate selection materials when signing up for a residence hall room. All students, regardless of where they are residing, have the right to disclose their sexual orientation and gender identity and expression as they desire and decide when, with whom, and how much of their private information to share with others.

Important Notes on Gender Inclusive Housing:

  • Students must select Gender Inclusive Housing on their housing contract in order to be placed there.
  • Students in Gender Inclusive Housing are expected to select their desired roommate.
  • Roommate conflicts and room changes will be handled by the hall the hall staff and those process are outlined in the Residence Life Student Handbook.
  • If a student is approved for a Gender Inclusive Housing space, and one student leaves the assignment, University Housing reserves the right to convert the space back to same gender housing.
  • Residence Life will continue to offer same gender and single room housing options throughout the halls.
  • Residence Life discourages students in relationships from living together.

Residency Requirement/Housing Exemption

University of Wisconsin System On-Campus Living Requirement

In accordance with Board of Regents Resolution No. 173 passed May 5, 1972, unless living with parents or legal guardian, all non-veterans, unmarried freshman and sophomore students, under the age of 20, are required to live in the residence halls and participate in a university meal plan.

Room and board charges will be added to a student’s university bill if they are found to be required but have not contracted to live and eat on campus.

If a student does not qualify for an exemption to the policy at the beginning of the academic year, the student must fulfill the housing and meal contract even though he or she may meet the criteria during the year. Freshman should not sign a lease with a private landlord for their sophomore year. This creates a double obligation that may result in the loss of the security deposit paid for off-campus accommodations.The goal of the Residence Life Department is to help students make the most of their collegiate living experience. It is not our goal to make a profit; charges cover our operating costs. Our policies and procedures mirror those of the state and University at large. Residence Life is entirely self-supporting in providing quality service for students.

University Housing has the obligation to enforce both the Board of Regents’ Policy and the terms of the Housing & Dining Contract. The threshold is high to be exempt from the Board of Regents’ Policy or released from the Terms of the Housing & Dining Contract.

Below outlines some common situations and reasons for denial

  • Unhappiness with residence hall life. Residence hall living is a new experience for most students and requires a certain amount of adjustment. If the resident has made a fair adjustment to the hall environment and is still unhappy, a hall change, room/floor change, or a roommate change is generally an effective remedy. If a specific area continues to be a major problem, the residence hall staff is available to work with the resident on an individual basis to find a solution. This involves active participation by the resident.
  • Accumulating 56 earned credits before the fall semester begins. The local interpretation of the Board of Regents’ Housing Policy states that students who have not completed 56 credits by the first day of fall semester classes, who are not married, not veterans, and do not live with their parents or legal guardian, are required to contract for on-campus housing. Thus, earning 56 credits during the contract term would not be reason for release.
  • Turning 20 during the academic year. Students entering into a contract beginning with the fall semester must qualify by the first day of fall semester classes. Likewise, those students entering into a contract beginning with the spring semester must qualify by the first day of spring semester classes.
  • Commuting/living with a relative. The choice to commute from the home of a parent or legal guardian can be made, but a release form does need to be signed and notarized. Policy does not allow for living with siblings, grandparents, other relatives, or any other person besides the parent/legal guardian at their PRIMARY home address. Permission to live with a relative must be based on extraordinary and/or compelling circumstances with documentation of such and not for the financial gain or convenience of the student and/or relative.
  • Medical and health conditions where on-campus housing can provide an accessible living environment. Even with medical documentation, most medical conditions DO NOT automatically release one from the contract. The medical professional needs to document the medical condition and outline specific needs. We will work with individual students to make residence hall rooms environmentally and health friendly. Reviewing what steps you have taken to manage or remove the barrier will be considered. The alternative living option you are proposing will be considered during the decision-making process. Students are expected to engage in an interactive process to discuss barriers that they are experiencing in the living environment. Once those barriers are identified, together the student and staff member will discuss access solutions. The campus community can usually create an accessible living environment. Students will only be released when the campus cannot create an accessible living environment.
  • Disability where on-campus can provide an accessible living environment. When reviewing requests for exemption that are based on disability, students are expected to engage in an interactive process to discuss the barriers that they are experiencing in the living environment. Once those barriers are identified, together the student and staff member will discuss access solutions. The campus community can usually create an accessible living environment. Students will only be released when the campus cannot create an accessible living environment. UW-Superior strives for an inclusive living environment. If you anticipate or experience any disability-related barriers related to living on campus, please speak with the Residence Life so we can discuss ways to ensure full access. If you determine that additional disability-related accommodations are necessary, please contact the Disability Support Services at Swenson Hall 1024A, 715-394-8188 .
  • Financial difficulty. Lack of funds alone is not a basis for an exemption. Financial aid is available to those who qualify based on need. There should be a significant change in your financial situation that is not rectifiable. Finances for the academic year should be considered prior to activating the contract and/or enrollment to the University. Late notice or inadequate notice from the Financial Aid Office is not grounds for a release. University Housing relies on the expertise of the Financial Aid Office to determine if a student has a sufficient financial aid package to attend UW-Superior.

Room Change Request Form

NOTE: Requests will not be viewed until the 2nd week of classes, and is based on room availability.

Your Full Name(Required)
Reason for Room Change Request
If you have requested to change rooms due to roommate issues, please complete the following
I would like to(Required)

Work Order Request

Non-UWS Account Request Form

All students who request an account after August 15 will be required to make a $500 down payment.

MM slash DD slash YYYY
Have you ever been suspended, dismissed, or expelled from a postsecondary institution (university, 2 or 4 year college, technical college, etc.) for a non-academic reason?(Required)
Have you ever been convicted of a felony? This includes pleading no-contest or guilty to a felony. Juvenile convictions should not be disclosed.(Required)